Experience Level: Beginner
Nutrition & Maintenance
Did you know? Diamond & Ring-Neck Doves are two of the smartest Doves. Doves also drink water by sucking it up through their beaks.
Nutrition and Maintenance
• Maintenance diet should consist of fortified pellet-seed blend made for Doves or ground feeding wild birds. Doves do use grit to break down seed. It can be offered monthly as
• Fresh vegetables should be removed after four hours to prevent spoilage.
• Clean and refill food and water bowls once a day.
• Cuttlebone/mineral block should be available in the cage at all times.
• Doves only eat off the top layer of the food dish, so if feeding pellet-seed mixes, be sure to check the food daily and remove empty seed hulls.
|Prepared Diets*||Pelleted or pellet-seed diets||Food should be refreshed daily and the bowl should always be approximately 3/4 full.|
|Vegetables||Dark, leafy greens, (kale, collard, mustard, dandelion, escarole) and vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, squash and shredded carrots)||
Every other day; should constitute 20% of diet.
Offer only enough to be consumed in four hours.
|Treats||Millet, field peas, whole corn kernels, oats, safflower||Offer weekly; should constitute 10% of diet.|
|*Pelleted diets may have grains, fruit and vegetable additives for variety, and probiotics to support digestive health.|
Safety and Cleanliness
Use caution when handling pets and remember that all pets may bite or scratch especially when stressed. Supervise children around pets.
Keep your pet’s home clean and wash your hands before and after handling your pet or cleaning its home.