Experience Level: Beginner
Nutrition and Maintenance
• Aquatic Turtles are omnivores meaning their diet consists of insects, fish and vegetables.
• Aquatic Turtles benefit from variety in their diet; alternate the insects and vegetables being fed in addition to the prepared turtle diet.
• They require calcium supplementation as part of their diet.
|Turtles Pellets||Pelleted diet||Once daily.|
|Insects or feeder fish*||Crickets**,
Daily to every other day.
Offer only enough to be
|Vegetables|| Dark leafy greens
|1–2 teaspoons offered 3-4
**Crickets should be fed a gut-loaded diet (commercially available nutrient-dense diet) prior to being fed to the turtle to ensure they have the proper nutrients for healthy diet
• Partial water changes (10-25%) should be performed weekly to keep the water clean. Aquatic Turtles produce a large amount of waste so the larger the filter the better.
• Add a water dechlorinator to water provided in the habitat.
Use caution when handling pets. All pets may bite or scratch especially when stressed. Always handle your turtle by the mid section and not by the limbs. Supervise children around pets.
Pets may transmit disease to humans; be sure to wash your hands before and after handling your pet, the aquarium water or cleaning its home.