Longtail Lizard (Takydromus sexlineatus)
Experience Level: Beginner
Nutrition and Maintenance
• Long-tailed Lizards are insectivores, meaning their diet consists primarily of live insects.
• Crickets are a primary source, but Long-tailed Lizards benefit from a variety of different items in their diet. Alternate the type of insects being fed.
• They require calcium supplementation as part of their diet and may benefit from a reptile multivitamin.
• Clean food and water bowl daily.
Daily to every other day
Offer only enough to be
consumed by the end of
*Insects should be dusted with calcium supplement twice weekly
**Crickets should be fed a gut-loaded diet (commercially available nutrient-dense diet) prior to being fed to the reptile to ensure they have the proper nutrients for a healthy reptile diet.
• Long-tailed Lizards will drink from a shallow dish and lick moisture from their skin; mist your pet every day with warm water.
• Water bowls should be emptied and refilled daily.
• Use caution when handling pets and remember that all pets may bite or scratch especially when stressed. Avoid picking up your pet by the tail as it may fall off. Supervise children around pets.
• Pets may transmit disease to humans; be sure to wash your hands before and after handling your pet or cleaning his home.