The Big Picture
• There are hundreds of different zoonotic (animal spread) illnesses that have been around for centuries.
• All pets have the ability to transmit disease to humans.
• Children are more frequently diagnosed with zoonotic diseases. This is because of their
tendencies to put objects in their mouths and not wash their hands effectively.
• Proper hygiene, with thorough hand washing being most important, prevents many diseases
from being transmitted to people.
• Bacteria and other zoonotic contaminants can come from multiple sources. Salmonella has
been isolated from amphibians, reptiles and rodents. However, salmonella can also be
contracted from handling eggs, poultry, beef, milk and vegetables.
• The joys and benefits of responsible pet ownership often outweigh risks associated with living with a pet.
Pets purchased at PetSmart are part of our exclusive Vet Assured™ program; a program designed by PetSmart veterinarians to help improve the health and well-being of our pets.
The program includes:
• Specific standards our vendors agree to meet in caring for and observing pets for common illnesses.
• Specific standards for in-store pet care.
• The PetSmart Promise: If your pet becomes ill during the initial 14-day period, or if you’re not satisfied for any reason, PetSmart will gladly replace the pet or refund the purchase price.