Lawn Care and Your Pet's Health
Many strive for it...a lush, green lawn that is the envy of the neighborhood. However, the quest to obtain the perfect lawn may be putting your pet's health at risk. Chemicals found in fertilizers and pest-control products may harm your pets as they romp in locations where these products are used. Following are some tips to avoid compromising your pet's health when maintaining your lawn.
- Too often we go immediately to chemicals for solutions to lawn problems. As common sense as it sounds, determine if you really need to use a pesticide, insecticide, herbicide, or fungicide to solve the problem. Consider first using less invasive, chemical-free, remedies.
- If you must use chemicals, avoid applying them when pets are present and could be exposed to the application. If you are applying a liquid chemical, let it dry thoroughly before letting your pet on the lawn; if you are using a powder, let it settle and consider watering it down.
- Read the labels of fertilizers and pest control products carefully to avoid overuse. Overuse is wasteful and can create excess residue, leaving more for your pet to roll around in and indiscriminately consume.
- Remove or cover with an impermeable material feeding bowls, water dishes, and birdbaths before applications of any fertilizer or pesticide.
- Do not leave food in an area where the food could become contaminated with fertilizer or pesticide products and subsequently eaten by an animal.